Boy, I thought yesterday was long and busy. Today topped that. We left at 9:30 and got home at 5:30. What great things we saw. We went to Bacharach, a little town on the Rhine River, and caught a tour boat that took us north for about 45 minutes to St. Goar. St. Goar has been settled since around 500 BC. Crazy. Along the river, we saw several castles. It is so amazing to think they have been there hundreds and hundreds of years and built without our modern technologies. They just stick out of the mountainsides. I have become quite awestruck by them. Also, all along the mountainsides are rows and rows and rows of vineyards. The area there is best known for its wine. I cannot imagine how they harvest these things because they are at a pretty good slope. We walked around St. Goar, did some shopping, and stopped at a bakery for some delicious goodies. I had some yummy apple strudel and Steve bought a bread goody shaped like a little mouse. So much for my Weight Watchers!!!! We then took the tour boat back down to Bacharach where we shopped a little more while Robert took the kids to the park. We found us a little place where we could get us an ice cream cone and then went back to join the others. It was another very fun trip.
One of the things that I have loved as we drive around is that every little village that you pass by has a big church in it that must be hundreds and hundreds of years old. It is so amazing to think about how long these villages have been around, longer than anything in the states, I’m sure. I would really like to look up some history behind them.



1 comment:
I can't even imagine seeing all that cool stuff in person, I am so jealous!
Post a Comment