Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our Home Remodeling


We have been very busy this year putting our 70s house into the 21st century. We started in January to make a room for our first grandchild. We got rid of the "cottage cheese" ceiling and carpet, painted it a pretty light purple color, textured the ceiling, replaced blinds, closet doors, door, door moldings, floor boards, and light. It turned out a great room to keep baby things in.

In May while we were in North Carolina on vacation with Heather, Bethany and Ike and friends Autumn and Patrick did the same things to our living room. It was painted a light tan color. It was so nice to come home to. In the next couple of weeks we painted the hallways and replaced all the doors to the rooms. What a change.

Steve went on his yearly vacation with his friend and boys from the ward the end of July and I took the opportunity to get the bedroom done. I didn't have as much help from my kids as I had hoped but with some of their help and the help of my nieces and nephew we were able to get it done. I even textured the ceiling all by myself. Never too late to learn a new skill. We painted it a little darker tan than the living room. I worked it around a comforter that I bought over a year ago and put away for this time. We got rid of a dresser and a set of enclosed shelves Steve was using as a dresser and we bought an armoire (sp?) which Steve uses which gives me the whole closet, small as it is, but at least I can actually see my clothes now. We bought a new fan which you can't even hear when it's on and bought a new bed also. We replaced the floor in the bathroom with some peel away tiles that look great. We got a new mirror for the bathroom. The best thing about all this was our floor. We just took up all the carpets and beneath it all has been a wonderful wood floor, original from when the house was built, that looks absolutely great, only one stain in the hallway that we covered up with a rug. I'm loving my new house.

Steve and I have also traveled some this year. We went to Paris in February, much thanks to our son Matthew working for Delta Airlines and his free flights for us. We went to North Carolina for 2 weeks in May with Heather back to her mission. What a great trip that was. Steve and I have also taken a few side trips for a day with our free flights, last week we went to Seattle. What fun. No more trips planned for this year right now but it looks like we'll be going to Europe next year for a couple of weeks with Steve's sister and her husband. I'm not the traveling type but I'm looking forward to it if I can get my back feeling better.

We've been blessed this year with our first little granddaughter, Macy. How we love her. I get to watch her 1 day a week. I just can't get enough of her. We also have another great blessing in our lives. Matthew and Lavern just adopted their 18-year-old foster daughter, Janelle. She's been with them over a year and a half and we're so happy to have her a part of our family.

Janelle at her high school graduation.

No comments: